Lemon Blueberry Cutout Sugar Cookie Recipe and Icing
Lemon Blueberry Cutout Sugar Cookie Recipe
Earlier in the year my mother made an absolutely delicious Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake. I loved it so much I had it as my birthday "cake". The combination of Lemon Blueberry is very refreshing and tastes great as a cookie. This recipe is mostly Lemon flavor with a hint of Blueberry. I tried to amp up the Blueberry in one of my attempts at this recipe and it did not turn out too well. It was mostly Blueberry flavor with a weird, bitter, Lemon flavored after taste. One of my friends who tried it thought it was Black Licorice flavored. If you use different types of flavoring, be careful not to add too much Blueberry or else you'll have a terrible catastrophe like me.
The flavoring for the cookie dough and royal icing recipe I used was the LorAnn Oils Super Strength Flavoring. They come in teeny tiny little bottles. I got a whole bunch of flavors at once from Amazon and it came with a little dram dropper. From the measurement I took, 12 drops from the dropper was 1/8 tsp. So a tiny bit of flavoring goes a very far way. You can use different brands of flavoring, but may need to experiment on quantity.
Prepare your dough as the recipe says. I always roll my dough out between two pieces of parchment paper.
Sometimes the top parchment paper gets a little stuck. You can add flour, but I usually just pull it off the dough every once in a while so it rolls out well.
I just learned a new trick for rolling dough. Since the dough always comes out misshapen, someone suggested folding over the edges of your parchment paper to create a rectangle, and roll it out again so you can have a better area of dough to use your cutters. It worked great!!
Voila!!! Much better area to use my cookie cutters on.
Bake all your cookies and use whatever Royal Icing Recipe you like the best with the added Lemon and Blueberry flavoring. Even though the Blueberry flavoring has color in it, it did not change the color of my icing. It still stayed white.
Finally I decorated my cookies, which is the fun part.
Here's a picture walk through of how I decorated my cookies.
I used an outline consistency and a 10 second flood consistency for my cookies.
I drew circles on for my blueberry shape since I struggle with trying to make circles.
Use a brush on the icing to smooth it down for the "hole" part of your blueberry. This creates an extra depth to the blueberry without having to add additional layers.
Let icing crust over for 30 minutes to an hour.
Let Icing crust over again for another 30 minutes to an hour.
Let Icing crust over for another 30 minutes to an hour.
Lemon Blueberry Cutout Sugar Cookie Recipe
(makes about 3 dozen medium size cookies rolled to 1/4" thickness)
- 2 sticks unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 C sugar
- 2 eggs
- 20 drops from dram dropper LorAnn Oils Super Strength Lemon Flavoring (Or other brand flavoring, quantity will need to be adjusted depending on strength)
- 32 drops from dram dropper LorAnn Oils Super Strength Blueberry Flavoring (Or other brand flavoring, quantity will need to be adjusted depending on strength)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 C flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
(covers about 4 dozen medium size cookies, can be cut in half)
- 2 lbs powdered sugar
- 5 Tbsp Light Corn Syrup
- 10 drops LorAnn Oils Super Strength Lemon Flavoring (Or other brand flavoring, quantity will need to be adjusted depending on strength)
- 10 drops LorAnn Oils Super Strength Blueberry Flavoring (Or other brand flavoring, quantity will need to be adjusted depending on strength)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1-8 Tbsp water (depending on desired consistency)
- Food Coloring Gel needed for cookies you are decorating
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, or mixer, cream butter and sugar together. Add Lemon and Blueberry flavoring, vanilla, and eggs. Mix until combined.
- Add flour and salt and mix until well combined.
- Add lemon zest. Mix until combined.
- Let chill in fridge for at least an hour.
- Drop dough onto parchment paper. Cover dough with another piece of parchment paper.
- Roll dough out to 1/4" thickness.
- With any cookie cutter you like, cut out cookies. Carefully remove excess dough.
- Place cookies onto cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 7-10 minutes until edges just barely start to brown.
- Remove from oven and let cookies cool completely on racks.
Royal Icing Instructions
- Add powdered sugar, corn syrup, and Lemon and Blueberry flavoring to mixing bowl. Add 5 Tbsp water and begin to mix on slow speed.
- Mix for one minute and keep adding small amounts of water, mixing between each Tbsp until you get your desired consistency. Mix until everything is well combined. (Note: 8 Tbsp of water will bring icing to approximately a 8-10 second fill consistency. Add water little by little if you need thicker consistency.)
Ice your cookies. Wait for them to dry and enjoy!!